Thursday, 29 March 2007

The haircut of discipline

My cousin Yuraaz, in a bid to be stylish, had a haircut with stripes on the side of his head. The problem was the haircut was against school rules. So the school suspended him and told him not to come back to school until he had a haircut. So he had to go have a haircut which he claims 'makes him look like a thumbee lighty'.

I related this story to a couple of friends, commenting on the harshness of the punishment. One of my friends agreed and said they should have given him to the next day to have a haircut. Another friend, a budding teacher, said that rules are rules and that he needs to learn his actions have consequences. To which I replied, do you think he will learn that lesson from this incident? She said not at this age, but he will later on in life.

This got me to thinking, how many of the punishments I have served have taught me a lesson. The duster on my knuckles for no homework and the cane beatings for not knowing my Suras just taught me to come up with better excuses. The 5000 lines for making noise in class just taught me that the photocopier is our friend and girls are willing to help guys in need by writing a few lines. Maybe my later on in life is still coming.

Till next time in Waseem world


7 comments:

queen_Lestat said...

Yuraaz? I know a lil munchkin with that name :) and that sounds like a thing he'd do as well.

Is he a n1temarish fellow? :P

Ta for dropping by :)

Delon said...

I don't know why schools are concerned with such trivialities such as hair cuts gone wrong - when there are more pressing issues going on, like sex and drugs. Three minors were caught two boys and a girl, experimenting with a sandwhich of sodomy.

There are things much worse, but how do you punish horny teenagers? Honestly, I was scared of a hiding, thats why I'm the upstanding citizen I am today...

qdee said...

hmm...i cant relate- i was always teacher's pet. one of those sickeningly organised kids who had a bob hairstyle, a perfectly ironed uniform (although it was a green cloak) and my notes were always in order and colour-coded :) lol im beginning to sound like a soldier in communist china!
jumma mubarak

Zahira said...

hmmm da haircut story lol my lightie cuz 3 weeks ago got kicked out of school for not gettin a haircut then when he does he gets kicked out coz its one of those funky kinds the young favour...lol
me i just remember always gettin in trouble because i was a devil who always hung with the boys...amazingly i still am and all the punishments proved pointless...go figure.

safiyyamk said...

why cant guys just stick to simple haircuts???

Anonymous said...

Leave me haircut how :/

Delon said...

In search of inspiration? No updates yet... We wait.