Monday, 16 April 2007

Falling is easy...

My birthday is normally disappointing and uneventful, but not this year, this year would be different. My cousin Hamza and I decided we would go bungee jumping on the weekend before my birthday and nothing was going to stop us.

So this Saturday, my brother Shiraz, my sister Shaista, cousins Yuraaz and Hamza and I set off for the mysterious Oribi Gorge. We had vague directions, basically 12kms from Port Shepstone, and despite several opportunities to get lost we managed to get there eventually.

We had to pay an entrance fee to get into the trails where the swing is situated so we ventured into a curios shop which had a TV showing previous jumpers. This was enough to scare the crap out of Yuraaz and my brother and sister. So we drove to the jump site with them trying to scare Hamza and I, Hamza started to look nervous.

We arrived at the jump site, and go to reception and sign our indemnity forms which looked like we were playing fruit & veg. They gave us harnesses and we watched as one guy plummeted the 100m into the gorge. They led me to rickety metal ladder and by this time I felt a mixture of fear, excitement and anticipation.

Standing in front of the edge of the cliff, the seconds counting down, instinct drives you and adrenaline courses through your veins. I jumped out of pure instinct and watched as the ground rushed towards me. I was tugged away at what seemed like the last minute and swung into the trees. The most exhilirating 3 seconds of my life came to a standstill and the only thought that went through my mind was I have to do this again.

Til next time in Waseem world

18 comments:

Zahira said...

Wooohooo me first yay!!!
Urr why you never take me?
*Zahira looks at Waseem with sad eyes*
Me gonna go cwy in the corner over the there sniff :(
But it sounds awesome wish i went with you hehehehe

safiyyamk said...

my sister's name is shahista but anways i'm shit scared of heights when i went to oribi- i went hysterical, there is absolutely no ways ill look down leave alone jump...

geez wat if the rope snapped??? lucky it didnt though...

happy birthday...

bibi-aisha said...

way cool! i wanted to go skydiving for my birthday but needed my parents to drive me there & they refused to allow me. (joys of not havin a license- must get it soon)next yr will b my crown birthday & I absolutely am going to do it, inshallah.

& bungee jump off Vic Falls & Bloukrans Bridge on Garden Route which is highest in world. Cant wait!

r said...

ooh its my DREAM to do the vic falls jump! i did it at tsitsikamma few years ago.. incredible unbelievable amazingly goosebump inducing just thinkiNG about it!

!Joe! said...

you are so brave, man...i think i'd puke mid-air...can you imagine that, having the rope pull you back through your own vomit!!!:D:D

!Joe! said...

Sorry, that was gross.

!Joe! said...

fruit and veg...i forgot about that game :)

!Joe! said...

oh happy bday :D

Waseem said...

zahira - aw dont cry, il take you next time

Safiyya - thanks :), life is about conquering your fears,

Bibi - ameen :), i still got alot more crazy stuff i need to do before attempting a sky dive, but if you do it be sure to tell me all about it

r - its also a dream of mine, hopefully i accomplish

joe - Thanks, its not so scary as u imagine once u plcuk up in enough courage to jump ur adrenaline kicks in and you enjoy the ride

Delon said...

Tell the truth - did the ground really rush towards you - or you to it? At that moment, how could you be sure that it was adrenaline coursing through your veins? Did you experience the post jump euphoria?

M Junaid said...

I went Bunjy jumping in Aukland, over the Harbour Bridge - did a wet jump (hit the water) was amazing. there are some moments in life i'l never forget - extraction of molars, finishing zelda, watching harry potter 4 but at the same time not watching etc.. and bunjy jumping ranks high up there.

i think a tandem jump will be a great but costly date option

happy Belated

Dew said...

Happy Belated:) we seem to have a trend of birthdays going on.

I always wanted to go bungee jumping and then I relaised recently that just sitting in a car makes me nauseous so I reallt don't think I'd enjoy it. But WOW you guys who can do these things are amazing!

Dew said...

lol@JOe. youre adorable.

qdee said...

yeah, im like dew with the motion sickness ;) but all that driving in pta helped. i think. happy belated birthday!

Waseem said...

Delon - I think it was me who was rushing to the ground at approx 120km/h. Adrenaline is the fight or flight hormone so considering I was practically flying, im sure it was adrenaline. The jump was euphoric to say the least

MJ - Thanks man, Tandem jumping - Extreme dating is where its at, perhaps she wont eat too much after the jump also

Qdee & Dew - Thanks :), i dont think you would have time to feel to nauseous, maybe afterwards tho ;)

Anonymous said...

Woohoo guest appearance, i feel like salman khan from kutch kutch hota hai. :(el why u had to put i was all nervous. Atleast u didn't say how i screamed like a girl as i jumped, dude that map rocked you turn left at the antelope which is 12km from port shepstone HOW CAN U POSSIBLY GET LOST!!! and wat bout the amazing cement factory and Easy the worlds slowest horse. Oh yeah happy birthday i know i know i could have done it earlier in fact i was gonna scream it while i jumped but heh free fall it does strange things to ur mind all u thinking is holy shit the ground, where that come from?

!Joe! said...

Re: tandem jump: at least if something goes wrong, you'll die with the girl/boy you love:D How Romeo and Juliet is that?

Loved your Keane comment on my Rob post:) Wish i could get you to love Rob as much as I do...but the Keane-love will do for now..:)

Skrpion said...

Firstly let me say 100m is a lot higher than it sounds. And really if any of you guys saw the crazy things these guys were doing in that video you'd be put off as well. Jumpin off in a canoe or backwards is not a good sight for a person considering a first time jump. Anyway hearing how exhilarating the jump actually was I'm keen to go back and jump off the cliff myself - I mean if a 7yr old kid can do it what am I afraid off? Maybe we can convince that lady to let us jump off with Easy E, going in at 120km/h might put some zoom in him.