Thursday, 2 August 2007

Mmm ... new post

The Simpsons has always been my favorite TV series, and when a season is actually showing, one of the few programs I actually watch. I used to wait from week to week for Thursdays 18:30 for that trademark opening tune, and couldn't wait for those witty words Bart used to write on the board or which unique way they would sit on the couch this week. I used to curse the commercial breaks and the half-an-hour only shows. I wouldn't say I'm their biggest fan, I don't go around dressed in blue shorts and an orange t-shirt, or spurt out weird Simpson trivia at inopportune moments, but I have always tried to catch every episode that I could. I think most of the common day animated series (Family Guy, South Park etc.) have been inspired by The Simpsons and had their pathways to success paved already.

Funnily enough though I was bit apprehensive over watching the movie. The Family Guy movie was basically 2 episodes held together by a thread, which I assume was supposed to be a plot device. The South Park movie was little more than an excuse to swear a bunch of people (I actually like South Park despite it's crassness). So I went into the movie with very low expectations. I think thats the key to enjoying a movie, the more expectations you place on it, the more likely it will disappoint, so go into movies with an open mind. I think the creators knew what they were getting into when they made the movie, probably the reason it took them so long to make. It wasn't like a long episode or an excuse for a movie, it actually had a good plot and was quite entertaining.

The thing I enjoy most about Simpsons is that its a very intelligent look at dumb people, its littered with funny quotes, classics like Homer's 'Doh' and Nelson's 'Ha Ha'. Here are some of my favorite Simpson quotes I compiled with the help of WikiQuote.


Ralph: Me fail English? That’s unpossible.(One of my favorite characters always good for a laugh)
Ralph: Hi, Principal Skinner. Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers.
Ralph: Why can't you be friends like me and Mr. Finger. (Pokes himself in the eye) Ow! You've betrayed me for the last time. (Gets a pair of scissors.)

Chief Wiggum: Uh, no, you got the wrong number. This is 9-1…2.
Chief Wiggum: They only come out in the night. Or in this case, the day.

Comic Book Guy:There is no emoticon for what I am feeling!

Mr. Burns: I don’t like being outdoors, Smithers. For one thing, there’s too many fat children.

Homer: Books are useless! I only ever read one book, “To Kill A Mockingbird,” and it gave me absolutely no insight on how to kill mockingbirds! Sure it taught me not to judge a man by the color of his skin…but what good does *that* do me?
Homer: Save me, Jeebus.
Homer: I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.

Billy Corgan: “Billy Corgan, ‘Smashing Pumpkins’.”
Homer Simpson: “Homer Simpson, smiling politely.”

MARGE: Have you noticed something different about Bart?
HOMER: New glasses?
MARGE: No. He looks like something may be troubling him.
HOMER: Probably misses his old glasses.
MARGE: I’d think that we should get more involved in his activities, but then I’d be afraid of smothering him.
HOMER: Yeah, and then they’d give us the chair.
MARGE: That’s not what I meant.
HOMER: It was Marge, admit it.

Ok there are tons more, its hard to choose, so thats all I have for now.

Till next time in Waseem world

9 comments:

!Joe! said...

:D:D:D i used to buy the simpson comics, and then i couldnt find them afterwards:(i love troy mclure and ralph wiggum, and ned flanders, and moe :) hehe, and i love homer and his Doh!...i still need to see the movie...

The K-man said...

i watched the movie and was slightly bored after the first 20minutes. The best part was SPIDER PIG! South Park movie still trumps this though.

Kronic_Paranoia said...

Ja I'm with K-man, didn't enjoy the movie. South Park Rocks!

Cartman: What's the worst thing you've ever done?
Bart Simpson: I stole the head off a statue once.
Cartman: [pause] Wow, that's pretty hardcore. Geez. That's like this one time when I didn't like a kid, so I ground his parents up into chili and fed it to him.

qdee said...

lol! the simpsons will eternally remind me of eating pasta at 6:30pm and almost choking while watching an episode...
ooh, south park! yeah, that rox!

aksn1p3r said...

qdee, same here sorta, also maghrib tym i missed few eps LOL :D

Gotta see the movie to really diss it they way khronic n k-man did ;)

American cartoons these days just piss me off, cos anime rox :P

queen_Lestat said...

it was unpossible for me to not see that one :)

r said...

*wipes away tears* oh that was lol-worthy!

blog_critic said...

I was a simpsons fan for many years,then South Park came along just seemed wittier.The movie was good, if u imagined you were back in high school blocked out the S.P.M from your head.But if there was no Simpsons there wouldnt be the others.I remember that Smashing Pumpkins episode, it was really funny esp from a fan point.Googling Homer quotes is cool, there is tons of it to fit any situation.

Shiraz said...

Homer : More than 2 shakes is considered playing with yourself

Homer : Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever spider pig does.