Tuesday, 7 August 2007

Three Libras

When I read books, I am often carried away to the story itself, sometimes even as if I am living the story through the main character. So too when I listen to music, I imagine the music video in my head, once I know the lyrics well enough. I don't watch many music videos (on MTV), due to the lack of rock videos and I have a very low threshold for ass shaking in my face. So generally the only music video I know is the one I make up. Sometimes I get to see the actual video and it is like, you know when after you read a book and you watch a movie based on the book, and you think WTF Hermione is not so pretty, or what bus knocked Ginny. So I have no real experience on actual videos but in a sense I have been making them for years. The videos need repeated listening to attain clarity, this is one I've thought up recently for the song Three Libras by A Perfect Circle, Maynard Keenan's side project. First the lyrics, then my understanding of the song and finally my video concept.

Threw you the obvious and you flew
with it on your back, a name in your recollection,
thrown down among a million same.
Difficult not to feel a little bit disappointed
and passed over
when I’ve looked right through
to see you naked and oblivious
and you don't see me, but i threw you the obvious
just to see if there's more behind the eyes
of a fallen angel,
the eyes of a tragedy.
Here i am expecting just a little bit
too much from the wounded.
But i see through it all
and see you.
So i threw you the obvious
to see what occurs behind the eyes of a fallen angel,
eyes of a tragedy.
Oh well. Apparently nothing.
You don't see me.
You don't see me at all.

A Perfect Circle - Three Libras

As far as I can make out the song it is about unrequited love but beyond that the person you 'love' not even knowing that you exist. Now me personally I think the word love is bandied about way too much. Like you can't love someone if you can think about cheating on them, you are just passing time but thats a topic for another day. So this guy feels like he doesn't exist to her despite his best efforts, thats basically the gist of the song in my opinion.

My video idea is a lot like the movie Ghost, (the one where Patrick Swayze dies and turns into a ghost) without Whoopi Goldberg and the relatively happy ending. The video would be about this guy who is invisible but only to this girl, so cut to a scene of him talking to some people then he spots the girl and tries to get her attention but she just walks through him, probably during the 'You don't see me at all' part. Another scene would be, perhaps during the 'eyes of a fallen angel' part, of her sitting and crying and he standing behind her stroking her hair, but she is oblivious to it. The 'naked and oblivious' part would be her standing in front of a mirror naked, with his arms wrapped around her, his reflection not showing in the mirror. Ok thats about all I have.

Till next time in Waseem world

9 comments:

Delon said...

I'd go for the ass shaking in my face any day... that's just me, but don't call me a 'prevart'...

Hey, just watch the videos every now and again, but having such an active imagination is not such a bad thing...

Kronic_Paranoia said...

"to see what occurs behind the eyes of a fallen angel,
eyes of a tragedy.
Oh well. Apparently nothing"
What does that say about the girl? It doesn't seem the clear cut you can't see me story. The girl had issues... something she couldn't look past in herself or maybe it was all she saw.

Not set in stone just throwing ideas around.

Any idea why its called three libras?

Libra said...

I can relate so well to what you say about making your own videos...in a way I go a step further and make up my own songs somehwere between an actual song I like and my own realm. Music videos have such potential to be a great art form and there is so much crap out there.

Oh and I just discovered A Perfect Circle; my favourite song at the moment is 'Magdalena'.

!Joe! said...

GRRR! my bro used to sing this all the time at home and I just could not understand why he liked it!!! sorry:( Hey, you know the Rob and I go a long way back...:)

aksn1p3r said...

Some videos are an actual portrayal for what the singer/writer wanted his/her words to look like but when there isn't a good video to match up or one's not even made, then I think about it like a story.

Its usually, a guy, a girl, an issue, a message.

One song I remember misconceiving is Skunk Anansie - Secretly. The video clears up the almost straightforward lyrics and also made me go "WTF?!"

:D

Dew said...

this was a nice post Was. I enjoyed the theory. I think I am that way too. I dont watch music vidoes myself and can't take ass shakine at all! what a waste I say (sorry delon) . I always make up wierd videos in my head and most of the time Im in them. Hm, the last time I saw a music video was like mybe 3 years ago (lack of the tv set I guess).

saaleha. said...

Sometimes I make up music videos too. My favourite one to imagine is where you can see the sound bleeding out the speakers, coalescing into a pool and melting everything it comes into contact with, even the band members.

The Organ Harvester said...

OK sally that freaking me out, but in a good way.
ja i think everyone has the music video daydream. remember aerosmith videos? GOD damn i wanted to be in those videos. recreated a few of my videos using material like photos and videos of my friends. chicks dig it simunye one time.
some sa videos are terrible. though parlotones seem on form.

queen_Lestat said...

shaking that ass bit, is precisely what annoys me about modern music.I also often think of what a video could look like or what I would do instead. Nice idea you have though, the invisibility thing,but there's that Shane Ward- No Promises video with a similar idea and a rather pretty girl also :P