Monday, 29 September 2008

Eid Carol

On the first day of Ramadaan, my mother gave to me
A Puri Patha for Iftari.

On the second day of Ramadaan, my mother gave to me
Two Chana Puri
And a Puri Patha for Iftari.

On the third day of Ramadaan, my mother gave to me
Three Half Moon
Two Chana Puri
And a Puri Patha for Iftari.

On the fourth day of Ramadaan, my mother gave to me
Four Chicken Pies
Three Half Moon
Two Chana Puri
And a Puri Patha for Iftari.

On the fifth day of Ramadaan, my mother gave to me
Five Mince Samoosas
Four Chicken Pies
Three Half Moons
Two Chana Puri
And a Puri Patha for Iftari.

On the sixth day of Ramadaan, my mother gave to me
A mild case of indigestion
Five Mince Samoosas
Four Chicken Pies
Three Half Moons
Two Chana Puri
And I missed the night's Taraweeh.

I didn't wanna go on for too long, else it would get a bit boring, and also I was running out of savouries. Eid Mubarak everyone.

Till next time in Waseem world.

7 comments:

Parasputin said...

We used to do a very similar one in a Cape Town stylie. Pwasa = malay for fasting

on the first day of pwasa my true love gave to me
a box full of agar bat teeee

and then along similar lines.
Quality!

Khadija said...

lol... brilliant!

desert demons said...

lolol very good - hows about an eid version with all the sweet meats?

btw Para ... how did they get 'labarang' ??

KiLLa said...

LoL.. I wanted to do an eid post in dr seuss style but it was going to get outta hand..

Ths was good...

nJoy Eid

Parasputin said...

labarang is from the Malay Lambarang, which I believe means celebration. Traditionally in Malay, Eid is called Hari Raya, but also Lambarang Pwasa or Lambarang Haji, for Eid ul Fitr and Eid ul Adha respectively.

It's really sad that this language has been systematically wiped out in CT.

M Junaid said...

Paras!
You need to do a glossary of terms for us or something - lets revive it guvner

Parasputin said...

MJ, sounds like a plan, mate. I'm not your man though. I've all but exhausted my Malay vocab. Oh hang on, there's piesang (banana) and kaparang (that's chappal to some of you).

Terama Kasi (thanks)

It is sad though. The first Muslim settlers in Cape Town were from those parts, and Tuan Guru brough Islam to South Africa. Afrikaans has a large debt to pay to the early settlers/slaves as Arabic which was taught by the religious leaders, was used for Afrikaans as a written language in those days. Honestly!