Wednesday, 29 October 2008

My Ummah

Alot has been said recently about the negatives of the recent Sami Yusuf concert. Alot has been said about music being haraam, and this specific brand of music being more haraam than other seemingly worse vices. But I have decided to focus on the positives and bring to light the bright side and benefits I have received from the concert.

  • The concert has got me listening to Islamic music, and really appreciating and enjoying it.
  • The concert and the music has given me a spiritual boost that has gotten me through a tough couple of days.
  • The road trip was a good bonding experience.
  • At the best of times, the concert was an amazing and unique zikr.
  • I got to meet a few blogger friends again. Saaleha, who looked radiant, Nooj, who looked taller, BB, who looked shorter.
  • Listening to the car radio, I find myself making Zikr and sending Durood.
Here's the lyrics of my current favorite Sami Yusuf song. Pertinent to the post in a few ways.

My Ummah by Sami Yusuf

My ummah, my ummah
He will say
Rasulullah on that day
Even though we've strayed from him and his way

My brothers, my sisters, in Islam
Let’s struggle, work, and pray
If we are to
Bring back the glory of his way

CHORUS:
Ya Allah ya rabbal ‘alamin
Ya rahmanu ya rahim
Ya rabbi

Let the Ummah rise again
Let us see daylight again
Once again

Let’s become whole again
Proud again
’Cause I swear with firm belief in our hearts
We can bring back the glory of our past

My ummah, my ummah
He will say
Rasulullah on that day
Even though we strayed from him and his way

Look at where we were
And look at where we are
And tell me
Is this how he’d want it to be?
Oh no! Let us bring back our glory

CHORUS

Till next time in Waseem world.

7 comments:

Khadija said...

:( I didn't get to meet any of the bloggers.

And you're right, such alot has been saif about the negative points, we've neglected to mention that the potential for good was immense.

M Junaid said...

you forgot the greatest benefit - to be in my mubaruk company for over 35 hours :D

that tag still cracks me up:)

we can do a parody of this track - my ouma. Anyone remembers Oumahs rusks? those things were dry as hell.

glad you gave in and joined me my man :)

Khadija - we have no idea what you look like mate - so even if we spotted you, we would have never known. Bibi is looking shorter hey. I know why Nooj was looking taller :p
saals was pulling off the hijab quite well I must say.

best experience of the trip?

my favourite track is still Mother.

Saaleha Bamjee-Mayet said...

shh... don't say anything... the cult will hear you and invite me to their cupcake parties.

Anonymous said...

Alcohol has many benefits, but it is haraam. Ganja, has proven benefits. It too is haraam. See a pattern? Or you just agree with everything the cool kids say? Grow a pair.

M Junaid said...

'Grow a Pair' :D
anon has struck again - irony - an anonymous person telling us to grow a pair. Why don t they grow a pair and stop hiding behind their veil

MUSIC IS HARAAM said...

Music is Haraam

References within the context of the Holy Qur`aan along with the Hadith of the Prophet Sallalahu alihi wa sallam (Peace be upon him) confirm that music is haraam.
Interpreters of the Qur`aan have defined the term `lahwal hadith` which is mentioned in the Qur`aan as:

1) Singing and listening to songs.
2) Purchasing of male and female singers.
3) Purchase of instruments of fun and amusement.

When Sayyidana Abdullah Ibne Mas`ood radiyallahu Anhu (Allah be pleased with him), a very close companion of our Prophet Sallalahu alihi wa sallam (Peace be upon him) was asked about the meaning of the term `lahwal hadith`, he replied
“I swear by Him besides whom there is no other God,that it refers to ghinaa (singing ).”

This statement, he repeated three times. This view is unanimously supported by the four Khalifas, the eminent Sahabaah, Tabi`een, the four Imaams and other reliable Islaamic scholars and authorities.

One hadith from the Bukhari Shareef, the most authentic Book of Hadith, further confirms unlawfulness of music and singing :
`There will be people of my Ummah who will seek to make lawful; fornication, wine-drinking and the use of ma`aazif ( musical instruments ).`

Detailed analysis of the arabic word `ma`aazif ` shows that it refers to musical instruments, the sounds of those musical instruments and singing with the accompaniment of instruments.

Closer analysis of the wordings of the Hadith establishes the prohibition of music. Firstly, the words `seek to make lawful ` shows that music is not permissible, as logically one can only seek to make lawful that which is not allowed. Secondly, if music was not prohibited, then it would not have been brought within the same context as fornication and wine-drinking.

bb_aisha said...

saals-i'm having a cupcake party tmrw:-p when i just started wearing scarf i didn't want to be grouped with others either. i still don't like it, but i do like identifying with women who are proudly Muslim, independent & intelligent.

Sorry waseem: I hijacked ur post thread. I've always listened to nasheeds & not to music. Glad you're enjoying it.

MJ-your mubarak company!? haha\

I was wearing heels & u still think I look short. It's ok-I like being short. It took me years of praying to be made taller, stretching myself to look taller & then one day I realised I'll always be 5"1 bordering on 5"2 & it's ok:-)