Tuesday, 18 November 2008

Summer Of Our Discontent

It's raining. Again. I don't remember a time when it wasn't raining. This is probably the dreariest summer we have ever had. Normally I like the rain and cold, but it has gotten so bad that I am actually longing for the sun. Something we Durbanites have taken for granted and some of us, like me, even cursed it. For some reason the rain seems to come, interspersed with misery.

The worst of it was definitely last Friday. I was going to do an almost news on the storm, and personifying the storm as the Xmen character Storm, then I decided it was perhaps in poor taste, due to the fact the heavens truly opened for some unfortunate kids.

This post is un-Waseem-like. I don't care. It's still raining.

Till next time in Waseem world.

7 comments:

bb_aisha said...

Climate change-global warming..what are we doing to our poor planet?

I love the rain & Highveld thunderstorms-especially mid-aftn on a hot day & then the sun comes out again.

Don't worry-the sun will soon shine down on Durban. The perpetual overcast days will pass

I find it depressing that when I'm at work, I don't know what the weather is like outside

Nooj said...

waseem-like has to make room for bitching now and then :P

Azra said...

I love the rain here in JHB...especially beause we have some really scorching days...so I welcome the coolness...

But it wreaks havoc on the traffic, people become over-whelmed and forget how to drive.

Khadija said...

Your post reminded me of something I wrote long ago, I've dug through my journals to find it:

M├ęcontent- A great, grey load weighing on your every thought, your every move, so that if even you know what ought to be done, it’s not the ambition that perseveres but the grey bulk that hints that all can be nothing. (7 September 2004)

Waseem said...

BB - never pegged you for Annie :D

The sun will come out tomorrow,
Bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow there will be sun

Nooj- the real Waseem actually bitches quite a bit, you and others get all my bitchin so no need to post.

Azra - Yeah tell me about, in friday of the 9 or so robots i went through, like 3 people got stuck at the robots, so many people seemed to forgot how to drive, or drive like maniacs.

Kay - deep comment. Unfortunately metaphorical sunshine is harder to find to chase away those metaphorical grey clouds

Zahera said...

Love the rain- it reminds me of Manchester days :-D
Dont like the SA thunderstorms though, i always just wana hide! I dont like thunderstorms in general. Like the sound of gentle rain hitting the window pane though- its very soothing.

Tazeen said...

Ah


i always find the phrase 'summer of discontent' ironic. for me, its more like 'life of discontent' or 'an eternity of discontent'