Monday, 9 March 2009

Do you know the story about the Zen master?

I watched Charlie Wilson's War yesterday, and I thought it was a really great movie, and I'm not even that into politics usually. There was one scene especially that I enjoyed.

The scene goes like this
Gust Avrakotos: Listen, not for nothing, but do you know the story about the Zen master and the little boy?
Rep Charlie Wilson: Oh is this something from [name inaudible] the Greek witch of Aliquippa, Pennsylvania?
Gust: Yeah as a matter of fact it is.
“There’s a little boy. Now on his 14th birthday he gets a horse, and everybody in the village says “How wonderful the boy got a horse,” and the Zen master says “We’ll see.”
“Two years later the boy falls off the horse, breaks his leg, and everybody in the village says “How terrible,” and the Zen master says “We’ll see.”
“Then a war breaks out and all the young men have to go off and fight, except the boy can’t cause his leg’s all messed up, and everybody in the village says “How wonderful”…
Charlie: Now the Zen master says “We’ll see.”
Gust: So you get it?
Charlie: No. No, cause I’m stupid…
Gust: You’re not stupid, you’re just in Congress.
(To put rest of the dialogues in context I have to tell you they are celebrating their victory over the Soviet Union in Afghanistan)
Gust: Start with the roads, move on to the schools, restock the sheep herds, give ‘em jobs, give ‘em hope.
Charlie: I’m trying.
Gust: “Try harder”
Charlie: I took you from five million to a billion. I broke this ice on this thing [something] - I got a Democratic congress in lockstep behind a Republican president -
Gust: That’s not good enough. Because I am about to hand you a code-word classified NIE [national intelligence estimate] right now and it’s gonna tell you that the crazies have started rolling into Kandahar like it’s a f’ing bathtub drain.
Charlie: Jesus, Gust, you could depress a bride on her wedding day.
Gust: Hey. Listen to what I’m telling you.
(they hug)
Charlie: You did a hell of a job for the son of a soda pop maker.
Gust: “We’ll see.”


Till next time in Waseem world.

2 comments:

geekisiddiqui said...

I guess I should have anticipated a movie post after you did so well on my post :P I've heard a fair bit about this movie, I'm going to have to go check it out.

Azra said...

I need to watch this movie...think I'll do that this weekend :)