Friday, 16 April 2010

Birthday Cake

When I was in school, we used to buy chocolates for the other kids in class whenever it was our birthdays. It was some kind of unwritten rule. I don't think everyone followed it, but most. The other unwritten rule was that the teacher got a slab of chocolate. I have no idea why. What warrants the teacher getting better/bigger chocolate? I always gave easter eggs due to when my birthday fell so I grew a bit sick of easter eggs. I still am.

Now that I'm older and in the working world, there is the (often forgotten) unwritten rule that you bring cake on your birthday. This can be very expensive especially if you work in a big office. You have to hope for a good few diabetics. Hamza told me that in his office people go crazy for cake. At the slightest mention of the word, people are galloping down hallways looking to guzzle down the confectionery. I imagine a crazed crowd going 'Caaaake!' 'Caaaake!' People just love free food.

CAAKE!!!CAAKE!!!

The thing I don't understand is, it is your birthday, why do you have to be the one to buy the cake? I mean I understand in school, it's not feasible for children to pitch in to buy you a cake/chocolate, but at work it is. I have brought in cake however so I have fulfilled my part of it. These mutha'uckers at work better fulfill theirs when their turn comes.

Till next time in Waseem world

6 comments:

Bibi-Aisha said...

We could take either cake or chocolates to school on our birthdays.
I had one birthday only at work-I was working on a Sat night & took in cake. There were only 6 of us.

But I agree-it is silly, & shouldn't be expected.

But on the subject of cake, I can live on it. And I always wonder why we behave as though we've never seen cake before on occasions like these.

Saaleha Idrees Bamjee said...

Did everyone sign a birthday card for you?
We would get cake money from petty cash because we were a really small company.

Hope you got my sms.

Antonio said...

I work in a dept with 30 other people. I tend to take the week of my birthday as leave.

Call me cheap why don't you.

Hamza Fareed said...

The pic dude its uncanny its exactly like my office also a whole post about cakes and no "the cake is a lie"

ExMi said...

happy birthday, dude.

you've also reminded me why i have never told anyone in my office what date my birthday is. screw having to share cake.

i dont even like cake.

rtfgvb7819 said...

IS VERY GOOD..............................